The production of biogas is one of the biggest attractions of anaerobic digestion, but it is not the only one. Digestate also excels, the mud resulting from the digestion plants, which is characterized by a high concentration of nutrients and organic matter. Hence, its use as fertilizer is so attractive. But although this biofiertilizante already offers more advantages than the traditional fertilizer, in ProCycla we believe that its quality can still be improved and its fertilizing power increased. That is why we are working on the introduction of a series of improvements in anaerobic digestion, as well as the use of innovative systems for purifying their by-products. The result of these lines of work will be to obtain a biofertilizer of higher quality, and also more productive. The biofertilizer that we are projecting will be especially suitable for delicate agricultural crops, ornamental crops or even sports turf. Our research hopes to take a step forward and improve the quality of the digestate, but the truth is that most consumers do not even know the advantages of this biofertilizer over traditional fertilizer. For the use of this biofertilizer to become popular, it will be necessary to guarantee the quality of the digestate, and this is only possible if the quality of the organic waste that is processed is previously guaranteed.
Some of the advantages that the digestate presents with respect to conventional fertilizers are:
- They generate less odors and present a higher hygienic quality.
- Improves water retention in tissue.
- Reduces oxidative damage to the membranes of plants caused by excess ions.
- It has a buffering effect on the pH in the soil.
- It has a positive effect on the availability of nutrients.
- Mitigate the effects of the toxicity of the different chemical elements.
- It diminishes the inhibitory effects of Al on the lengthening of the root.
- It induces the formation of aluminosilicates of low solubility in the apex of the root, reducing the concentration of Al3+ ions in the medium.
- Induces the resistance of different crops.
- Protects against various biotic and abiotic environmental factors.
- Resistance to attack by pathogens and insects.
- It favors the greater lignification of the tissues.